Friday, July 9, 2010

Future Trail Runner Extraordinaire - German Shorthaired Pointer

A week ago we officially became a family of 6. Well, 7 if you count the red-eared slider turtle in my son's room. We bought a German Shorthaired Pointer...sure to become a wonderful trail running partner for my wife and I for years to come.

Thankfully my wife is very understanding; as this was an impulse buy on my part after wanting a dog for many years. We were vacationing in Lake Chelan and she happened to mention that "if" we ever got a dog, it would need to be a medium sized dog, preferably a Brittany Spaniel. The very next day we were home and I was researching various dogs noted for their endurance and stamina (including Brittany Spaniels). In my research, I found that there weren't many Brittany Spaniels in a desirable price range for us and many wouldn't be ready for taking home until September. On the other hand, there were two possbilities to  buy a German Shorthair Pointer within about 2 hours of our house. My son and I jumped in the car, headed to the ferry, and were off to visit German Shorthaired Pointer breeders on the other side of the Puget Sound. Yes, I think some part of me actually realized my wife wasn't talking about purchasing a dog immediately,  but some other part of my brain took over. I plead temporary insanity. Did I happen to mention that my wife is very understanding?

Dose (Wallips) is a beautiful 9 week old bundle of voracious energy. She spends half of the time running as fast as she can through our yard and house and the other half tuckered out sleeping like a baby. Luckily we live on almost 3 acres and there is plenty of room to roam. As I sipped my coffee this morning and watched her romp around our yard, I was imagining how fun it will be to take her for early morning runs once she gets a bit older. I am rather content watching her happily play in the yard for now. However, the stunning view of the Olympic Mountains this morning made me hunger for some mountain running...hopefully I will be blogging about a sweet run up Mt. Townsend within a week or so...(minus Dose, of course)

1 comment:

  1. Hi just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know
    a few of the images aren't loading properly. I'm not sure why but I think its a
    linking issue. I've tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same outcome.


    Feel free to visit my web-site: mom pandora charm

    ReplyDelete