Saturday, October 2, 2010

Marathon Training - Running Long on the Pavement

Last weekend I ran the Duckabush River Trail 8 miles out and 8 miles back with a friend. The run took 3 hours and the terrain was rolling single track with some serious switchback climbing at the beginning. As we were finishing our run, I made the statement that since we were out running a tough 16 mile route, it should count for a twenty miler in my marathon training! Running the same effort for three hours on the road would have been at least 20 miles.

I am off soon to test that theory. I am hoping to hit 20 miles on the road this morning. I am sitting here drinking coffee and blogging instead of running because I don't feel like running in the dark today. Also, I am a bit hesitant to hit 20 miles on the road...in looking at my log I noticed over my last 60 runs, only three of them have been on the road. Since I am running the New York City Marathon in a few weeks, I think it is probably a good idea to get some time on the pavement today.

Check out this interesting article: The Myth of the 20 Mile Long Run I have read similar articles before. It asks you to consider the cost benefit of running 20 miles long runs if your weekly mileage is less than 50 miles per week. I have found that even running 40 mile weeks, I benefit psychologically from running a few 20 milers before a marathon. However, the article has its merit...I just haven't found the time or energy to get my miles up to 70 miles per week, yet I still have the desire to hit a few 20 milers in my marathon prep.

Okay, time to get hydrated and hit the road for a solo 20....

1 comment:

  1. time on your feet is more important for your long run than mileage. multi-paced training improves the spring in your step so you don't need to run so many miles during the week, still, you need to put in some long 20's even if it is run/walk.

    We’re almost finished building a new running training social site. We don’t want to leave anything out so we need your help. Your answer below is appreciated!
    If you are a regular Run4the woods reader we consider you a VIP and are happy to give you first look priority access and free training when we launch. Just go to http://www.runningtrainingplans.com/vip and help us help your running!
    Coach Ken

    ReplyDelete