Monday, January 18, 2010

January 2010

Wow! What a few months I have had. Today I sit resting after having sinus surgery one week ago. It was one of the most gnarly experiences I have every had. However, I cannot believe how clearly I can breathe right now! Twenty plus year of sinus issues and I finally know what it is like to get air through my nasal passages...what a cool, refreshing feeling!

I have sat and sat and sat....during this time I have thought much about goals for the year with fitness. Here we go:

  • Do a 50-mile trail race in April http://www.capitolpeakultras.com/CP50mile.htm
  • Do an Olympic Distance Triathlon in June
  • Do the Seattle to Portland Bike Ride in July
  • Run the New York City marathon in November

Now that it is written...it looks a bit scary....but I need to celebrate my life as a 40 year old in style!

The craziest part is probably the 50 mile race in April. This is not too far off and I haven't run past 10 miles in over a year. However, I am going to jump in anyway and do it with my friend Jens who recently did the Honolulu Marathon and JFK 50 mile! It will be a struggle, but it will force me to get out in the woods and run more, which is meditative and healthy for me. It think what put me over the top in the last week was reading Born to Run by Christopher McDougall and also reading trail running blogs by Scott Dunlap, Scott Jurek, Anton Krupicka, and Greg Crowther. Those guys are motivating!

Bummed out that the Dr. told me that I couldn't exercise for another week or so. No snowboarding or running next weekend!

More to come!

1 comment:

  1. Nothing motivates quite as much as seeing that 50-miler get closer on the schedule! Works every time.

    Plus it all gets easier once you are in the Masters ranks!

    Thanks for the kind words...

    SD

    ReplyDelete