Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Mt Townsend Beckons





Well, still recovering from sinus surgery...I am staring out my window at the Olympic Mountain Range and see Mt Townsend beckoning. I cannot wait to get my trail shoes on and run to the top!

My wife and three kids hiked up last summer and my brother Steve and I ran/hiked to the top last September. It was just a few days after our brother Gary passed away after a long and courageous battle with cancer. Steve and I most definitely felt Gary's presence as the wind whipped around the summit. It was a joyous, sad, and incredible experience. I hope to do many more trail runs with Steve over the years! We will always reflect on our time with our brother Gary on this earth.

The route we took was probably only 7 miles round trip with a 2300 foot elevation gain. I believe the top is at about 6300 feet or so. The views are absolutely incredible. You can see all of Puget Sound and gaze out at the Seattle skyline. You can also see Mt Rainer, Mt Baker and other snowy Cascadian peaks. To the north lie the Dungeness Spit, Discovery Bay, the San Juan Islands and Vancouver Island. I would highly recommend this run!

1 comment:

  1. I most definitely felt Gary's presence as the wind whipped around the summit.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Yes it sounds like Gary was there during your adventure.

    Great photos... Have a great training Week!

    ReplyDelete