Friday, February 12, 2010

Port Gamble Trails - 6 Mile Hilly Loop

Everyone experiences those days that your body just won't cooperate...today was one of those days...legs filled with concrete, ragged breathing, and erratic pace. However, the fact that I was chasing a beautiful woman through the woods at the time made it all worth it!Even though my wife was recovering from a 50 mile bike ride yesterday, I was still having a hard time keeping up. Anyhow, any day running the trails is a GOOD day!

Today I ran one of my favorite loops in the Port Gamble Trails. Click here for a map of the trails. This run starts at Gate 4 (G-2100). Head up the logging road a ways until you come to a single-track trail on the right. Follow the trail until you hit a fork and take the right fork. This will put you on G-1810. Follow G-1810 all the way until it intersects with G-1800. I don't believe there is a sign here, just take a right down the hill. The logging road continues down hill a ways until it interesects with G-2000. Take a left on 2000...let the climbing begin! The road winds uphill about a half-mile or so. Follow G-2000 all the way until you get near Gate 2. Take a left on G-1000 and follow that until you hit G-1910. Take a left at G-1910. You will basically follow G-1910 all the way until it turns into G-1900. This is really a nice climb. I would guess you climb a steady incline of around a mile or so. Once you get to G-1900 you will come to a single track trail on your left. Follow the trail all the way until it ends at G-1800. There is a point on the trail where you can take a right or left...either way will get you to G-1800. Once you hit G-1800, take a left. Follow 1800 for about quarter mile or so and you will see another line of single track to your right. Follow the single track all the way until you come to G-2100...take a left and cruise down the hill about a half-mile to your car!

This is actually a really excellent run. I like it because it is rolling and mixes single track with logging roads. The above directions may seem confusing, however, if you just print the map from this link, you will find the directions fairly uncomplicated!

Sunday morning I plan on running the Fishline 25K put on by Poulsbo Running. The race starts at Gate 4 and will be an excellent training run as I continue to get ready for the Capital Peaks Ultra 50 mile trail race. Should be a blast!

4 comments:

  1. Have a great time at tomorrow's Fishline 25K! I've heard good things about the Port Gamble Trails; one of my colleagues and running buddy lives in Brainbridge Island and ran the course several times. I'm thinking of running the Lumberjack Endurance Run in April!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Thomas! It was a blast...I will be volunteering at the Lumberjack. Maybe I can be your pacer on one of the 12 mile loops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am running Lumberjack 100 this year. I am curious as to whether you ran the race last year, how it went, and if you have any words of wisdom for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not, however, I run most of the other races in the series. My advice? Have fun and enjoy the surroundings! A beautiful place to run fore sure...

    ReplyDelete