Sunday, August 8, 2010

Red Mountain Run




View of the Yakima River from the top of Red Mountain





My wife and I were visiting some friends in the Yakima Valley a few weeks ago and we took the opportunity to run up to the top of Red Mountain while we were there. Red Mountain is somewhat of a misnomer, as when I think of a mountain I think of something with a bit more elevation. Red Mountain ranges anywhere from 500 to 1500 feet. Nonetheless, it was a tough climb with spectacular views.

We ran up the mountain twice in two days. I also walked to the top with my son, Sloan and our new dog, Dose Wallips. Dose sprinted up to the top while turning around periodically with a silly look on her face. She seemed to be telling us to hurry up, but we were going as fast as we could.

We have done many cool things this summer, but spending that 60 minutes or so with my son was certainly a highlight. Sometimes it is the simplest things that can have the biggest impact. Looking forward to many more hikes and runs with Michelle and our kids. I hope they continue to see the wonders in nature as I do each and every day.
Something tells me Dose likes to run.
Dose after trying to dig up a beetle with her snout.
Sloan trying to stay up with Dose up the trail.

The sun setting on our way down.

My son and our dog contemplating the jaunt back down the mountain.

Looking forward to many more trail runs and hikes together.

Dose ready for a long nap after the mountain run.

No comments:

Post a Comment