Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sunshine and Single Track


My legs were a bit tired because our family snowboarded/skiied somewhere around 15,000 vertical feet yesterday up at Stevens Pass. Blue skys, short lift lines, and GOOD TIMES! However, as I semi-hobbled down the stairs, I knew I better get some coffee and head out the door if I wanted to get my long run in before noon. You can see why I wanted to get outside this morning...Check out the shot of the Brothers peak up in the Olympic Mountains from our window below. The Brothers are a double peak that sit at about 6500 feet. Looking forward to climbing Brothers with my brother this summer. More on that in a later post...



This morning as I was getting ready I remembered a package that was sent to me by Clif Bar and Company. I brought the Clif Shot Cran-Razz Electrolyte drink on my run, to give it a try. I was hoping to find a not-to-sweet electrolyte replacement drink before my 50-miler in April. I think I may have found what I was looking for. More often than not I think an electrolyte drink is either too sweet or too bland. This one was just right...I didn't even have any gastrointestinal distress after drinking, as is usual the case with sports drinks for me...too much information? I also like the fact that it is made from more than 90% organic ingredients.

The trail run this morning was sublime. 15 miles of cruising through the mud, grass, dirt, and rocks that make up the Port Gamble Trail system. I planned on running from 12 to 15 miles. I ran on the high end of my plan due to the fact that I became temporarily disoriented on the trails this morning. I regretted not bringing my trail map, but all in all I was happy because it forced me to run further than I felt like today.

Somewhere around mile 7 I turned off my music and enjoyed the sounds of the morning. Normally my ragged breathing becomes somewhat of an annoyance, but it invigorated me this morning. It reminded me of the fact that each day I hit the trails I get stronger both mentally and physically. I also felt an immense sense of connectedness with nature as I listened to the soft sounds each foot strike made upon impact with the pine needles and fallen leaves. As I see people running the roads around here, I cannot believe they aren't taking the opportunity to run the trails.

If you are a fan of Bob Marley, you probably love the song, "Redemption Song". There is a great line that starts like this: "Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind...". For me, running the trails helps free myself from all of the mental chatter I tend to experience on a regular basis. When trail running alone, most of the time my mind is quiet and my body is feeling that sense of connection to nature. I am sure Bob Marley wasn't talking about trail running, but the song speaks to me nonetheless!

Well, getting ready to take advantage of the sunshine. We are thinking about hiking up Mt. Walker or Green Mountain as a family this afternoon. Next week I hope to hit my first 20 miler in a long time.

Later!

1 comment:

  1. Shawn! This blog is awesome.....so great that you're doing this. I enjoyed a cup of coffee and sat on me bum reading it during my lunch hour while it rained outside. Keep enjoying the trails and those empty, open nasal passages (bonus!) ~Susan, your sister-from-another-mister

    ReplyDelete