Monday, February 8, 2010

Green Mountain - A Trail Runner's Playground


I knew I would enjoy eating ribs, drumsticks, and nachos on Super Bowl Sunday more if I went for trail run first. So, I called my brother and asked him to join me for a run up Green Mountain. Green Mountain is in Bremerton, WA, located near Wildcat Lake. Click here for a map of the mountain.

My brother, nephew, and I started the run at the Gold Creek parking area. We followed the Gold Creek trail all the way up to the Green Mountain Summit which is at about 1800 feet or so. The signs were clearly marked on the way up to the top (about 2.5 miles from the trailhead) and we enjoyed a stunning view of the fog. We will be back on a sunny day for sure...I know the view is awesome at the top on a clear day. From the top you can see a sweeping panorama of Puget sound, the Seattle skyline, plus Hood Canal, and views of the Olympic Mountains.

We took the Plummer trail (refer to map again here) on the way down to make it a loop of around 5.5 miles total.



The trail is single track for most of the way with plenty of room to run on either side of the path. We flew down Plummer trail on the way down and let gravity do all of the work. This was my nephews first trail run. I think he will be hooked for life!

On a side note, my brother was using a new Garmin GPS system. We had some moments of hilarity comparing my map with his GPS. I have to admit, the GPS actually helped us find our way back at one point. Without it a 6 mile run could have turned into a 10 mile run easy! (Which might have been good, as I am behind on my training for a 50 mile race in April)

On the way home my nephew Ryan mentioned how much he enjoyed the run. He talked about how positive and happy running made him feel. I am glad he has learned this lesson at such an early age. I am not surprised the trails inspired this kind of feeling!

1 comment:

  1. Man, I'm totally jealous....all of my nearby trails are under a couple of feet of snow right now. And will be until, oh, April (at the earliest). That's an awesome looking trail!

    ReplyDelete