Saturday, February 13, 2010

Fishline 50K/25K Trail Race


The good people from Poulsbo Running put on a great run Sunday, February 14th. This race was the fourth edition. One of the best parts about the race is that it is FREE! All participants had to do was bring a canned food donation for North Kitsap Fishline. Fishline is a local foodbank that provides confidential help for those in need in the community.

I ran the 25K after having not run more than 6 miles at a time since October. The course was rolling and consisted of both single track and logging road. Those runners looking for an added challenge did the 25K loop twice. The race started at Gate 4 off of Stottlemeyer Road in the Port Gamble Trail System (Pope Resources Land).

I have to say I really enjoy the vibe at trail races vs. road and track races. Not to say that people aren't cool at all races its just that trail runners have such a relaxed attitude. How many times have you seen someone pulling over for a bathroom break on the track or roads...not very often. The trails are a totally different story. Not that I wish to focus on that aspect of trail running here...maybe another time.

Last year the Fishline trail race was very interesting in that some of the course was covered in 5-6 inches of snow. This year there was mud and lots of it. The course is absolutely beautiful with miles of pristine single track. By pristine, I mean lots of mud, roller coasters, and uneven terrain. Simply awesome...

I decided to take it easy the first 5-7 miles or so. I was thinking if I relaxed the first part of the run, I could pass people at the end. This is much more motivating than getting passed by others. At about mile 3 or 4 I met a really interesting guy who has started 12 different 100-mile races and finished 8 of them! We were chatting and all of a sudden he told me he was going to pull an "ultra" move. By that he meant he was going to conserve some energy up a steep incline and walk. I turned around and realized his "ultra walk" was just as fast as my run. Anyhow, he was running the entire 50K and I am sure he did well.

I was feeling a bit tired through some single track around mile 6. All of sudden the Smashing Pumpkins came blaring through my IPOD. The song was "rat in a cage". I don't know about you, but sometimes life can make one feel like a rat in a cage. Back-to-back meetings and pushing paper in the office can give one that feeling. However,out in the woods, it is impossbile to feel this way. This inspired me to pick up the pace. I was not going to be a stinking rat in a cage! I was tranformed into a deer nimbly making my way through the forest. What a rush...

About a mile and a half later after a steep climb Ray Lamontagne and the song "Trouble" began speaking to me through the IPOD. I realized my little speed burst may have gotten me into some trouble. Legs were heavy, breathing labored, Ray Lamontagne crooning that he had been "saved by a woman". Could it be? Could I too be saved by a woman at this point? I had visions of trail fairies flying through the trees to provide some assistance...it didn't happen.

Thankfully the race was really well marked with flour and pink ribbons on the trees. The volunteers did an excellent job for sure. However, at around mile 9 I came to a point where you could either go straight, right, or left. I looked right, looked left and didn't know which way to go. To my relief a guy came running up behind me and I asked him which way to run. He must of been a volunteer for the race because he said, "We really should have marked this better". He pointed straight ahead. This guy was really being kind because I didn't think to look straight ahead. In the trees there were two bright pink ribbons marking the way. Like I said, trail runners are laid back!

Somewhere around mile 10 or so the course weaves into more winding single track. To me, this is the best that trail running has to offer. I began flying through the trees and began running with a reckless abandon, as tree branches began brushing my face. Right about then, Matisyahu was singing a song that had lyrics about "water for the soul". I think he must of been singing about the trails, because my thirsty soul was getting hydrated by the single track.

At around mile 11, I was feeling good! I saw a pack of 5-6 runners up ahead of me. Within about half a mile or so I passed the group and we exchanged pleasantries. (Did I mention trail runners are fairly laid back?)My plan was working out... start slower, finish stronger! I felt great at this point and started to really cruise. I was actually shocked because I really hadn't run this far for months.

At mile 13 I as visited by my old nemesis, "lactic acid" and his henchman the "blister brothers". All of a sudden I was doing the ultra shuffle and I was only running 25K. At mile 14 I was passed by a pack of 5-6 runners...so much for my plan. I finished fairly strong and was happy with my overall effort.

Chris Hammett from Poulsbo Running was at the finish congratulating runners. I am so impressed with Chris and his wife Brooke. They clearly have a passion for running and share it with all. I cannot imagine all of the hours they put into making trail running a more prominent activity in Poulsbo. Thanks Chris and Brooke!

Well, only 2 and a half months until I run my first 50 mile trail race...what was I thinking? I am looking forward to getting more "water for my soul". I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed reading your blog! I have never done trail running but have always been excited to try it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete