Sunday, May 23, 2010

La Sportiva Raptor Review

I became interested in the La Sportiva running shoe company after happening upon their mountain running website. It is a very informative website filled with information about all things mountain running. After following their website for a few months, I decided to give a pair of their shoes a try. I have been doing all of my trail runs the last few weeks in the La Sportiva Raptor.

The Raptor is touted as an “aggressive, technical trail shoe” by La Sportiva. I didn’t know exactly what this meant until I took the shoes for a spin on one of my favorite trails near Port Gamble, WA. The shoes worked perfectly for the slick rock and muddy trails I encounter regularly on this trail. I was particularly impressed with the responsiveness of the shoe. Most of the trail shoes I have owned have had a little bit of “slop” in them. However, the Raptor really stayed tight even on the sharpest of muddy hairpin turns.

The Raptor also has impressive grip. The outsole of the Raptor is made out of something called Frixon XF. La Sportiva is known for climbing shoes and the Raptor’s outsole is just one category below what is used as an outsole for their climbers. This provides a ton of grip on wet, mossy rocks, and other slippery surfaces encountered on the trails of the Northwest.

I really hit a hard tempo run the other day on a seriously slick portion of single track. Trusting the Raptors I went barreling down the last section of technical trail at a rather reckless speed. I never lost my footing and will continue to use these shoes in wet conditions. For more information check out Lasportiva.com.

1 comment: