Sunday, March 14, 2010

Green Mountain, Via Wildcat Lake Trailhead

I decided to run the same trail on both Saturday and Sunday this weekend. I ran Green Mountain in Bremerton, WA. Click here for a map of the area.

If you take the Wildcat Trail from the parking area all the way to the summit and back, you will have run a solid 9.5 miles. The summit is approximately 1600 feet. The climb is gradual, but still a bit of a quad burner toward the top. This run is incredible on a clear day. Beautiful views of Seattle, Mt. Baker, and the majestic Olympic Mountain range. Plan on doing the run early though. Off road vehicles are allowed on the trail unfortunately.

I ran the route early on Saturday and Sunday and only ran into a couple of mountain bikers. At one point in the run this morning, I heard some crashing through the woods to the east. I stopped, listened and couldn't hear anything. Right when I began running again, a deer jumped out onto the trail. I am quite sure we both screamed. Other than that, the run was uneventful.

After about an hour today I tried something other than Cliff Shots. I tried Peanut M & M's. I must admit they really hit the spot. I will try these on my 20 mile trail run on Tuesday.

I am starting to get really nervous for the 50 mile trail race I am doing in April! I need to get a long run in of around 30 miles or so before then. I am hoping to find a trail race of about that length within the next few weeks....

I am not feeling so motivated to blog right now. Off to research trail races!

1 comment:

  1. new to area looking to run this trail this weekend, maybe even twice, let me know if you are intrested.
    Yours in running,
    John Spannuth
    Spannjt@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete