Sunday, March 7, 2010

Mt. Walker - 2000 Vertical Ft in 2 miles


I awoke this morning with a slightly sore right knee from my run yesterday on the Duckabush River Trail. I threw caution to the wind and decided to run up Mt. Walker for the first time. Mt. Walker is 2800 feet at the summit and it is densely covered with beautiful 100 year old Douglas Firs. Click here for more information from the Washington Trails Association about Mt. Walker, directions, etc.

My goal this morning was to run the entire 2 miles up the mountain. I knew it would be a great fitness test and I haven't run up something this steep since Blanchard Mountain during our time in Burlington, WA.

I knew that I was in for a tough run when after the first 500 feet of climbing, I could hear my heart pounding in my head. You many not know what I am talking about, if not, try mountain running. I guarantee you will experience this sensation. I decided to push forward, knowing that in theory this would make me stronger. After the next 500 feet of climbing, my eyes were slits, and my breathing was labored. Only 1000 feet of climbing to go! I spent the last 1000 feet with my head down and my eyes half closed. I was thankful when I finally hit the top in around 43 minutes. I took in the view and ran another half mile to the South Viewpoint.

The view is phenomenal from the top. I experienced panoramic views of the Olympic Mountains, Puget Sound, the Hood Canal, and Seattle. On a clear day you can see the majestic Mt. Rainer from the South Viewpoint.

The way down is a QUAD BURNER! I had a blast flying the 2 miles back to the car in around 19 minutes or so. Now that I have a baseline, I will be back in a few weeks to test my fitness level again. I plan on running it in 38 minutes next time...we shall see!

View of Mt. Constance from the summit of Mt. Walker:

No comments:

Post a Comment