Wednesday, March 3, 2010

North Kitsap Heritage Park


Checked out a new place after work yesterday. It is called North Kitsap Heritage Park in Poulsbo, WA. The main entrance to the North Kitsap Heritage Park is located on the east side of Miller Bay Road about a mile north of Indianola Road. A kiosk with information including a map has been added at the entrance, and the network of trails has been marked and color-coded.

Make sure you grab a map at the entrance. If you follow the "yellow" trail all the way to the end you will have run about 6 miles out and back. If you add the "white" trail onto the yellow, then you will add another mile to your run. The "white" trail goes out the White Horse Golf Course. This is a beautiful neighborhood that is worth running through, even if it means hitting some pavement!

The trail is very well maintained. Expect mud in places and wear some trail shoes. I made the mistake of wearing my road shoes and was slipping all over the place. One problem I had was that I noticed I was wearing a Gel Kayano on my left foot and a Nike Pegasus on my right foot! They all look the same when muddy. I am stoked to give my new Brooks Cascadia 5's a try today at some point!

I am realizing with all of my trail running that I need to become an amateur tracker. Some of the strange animal tracks I see on a regular basis are beginning to make me paranoid! Although, if I find out the tracks are bear tracks, I will be even more freaked out...so better off not knowing...seeing the bear scat is enough.

Later!

1 comment:

  1. left shoe, right shoe, scared by bear poo
    (i heard it's dr. seuss's birthday) ; ) ~suz

    ReplyDelete